There are many reasons why I like broccoli, and after discovering its health benefits, I love it even more. If you’re intent on getting in shape and staying healthy, Total Wellness Cleanse also suggests you add broccoli to your grocery list. I know what it’s like to be out of shape and wanting to be healthy, so here’s how broccoli can help.
1. Broccoli Helps Your Heart
Broccoli is rich in carotenoid lutein and can prevent or slow the thickening of your arteries. I can’t stress how important this is because it helps prevent stroke and heart disease. It’s also rich in B6 and folate, both of which are essential in fighting atherosclerosis and other ailments related to your heart.
2. Keeps Your Eyes Sharp
I also want to say that the carotenoid lutein in broccoli can prevent cataracts, macular degeneration and other ailments that are brought about by old age. However it is also good in preventing disease causing cells from appearing in your body.
Another reason why broccoli is good for your eyes as it is rich in vitamin A. Vitamin A is great for your retina, the molecule that is necessary for color and low light vision. Broccoli has plenty of phytochemical antioxidants, in particular zeaxanthin and lutein. If you take both of these in generous quantities the lens in your eyes will improve.
3. Broccoli is High in Fiber
Broccoli is full of fiber which is essential for preventing constipation, improving digestion and regulating blood sugar levels. And you don’t need to eat a ton of broccoli; just a cup of it will give you as much protein as a cup of corn or rice but with just half the calories. The more fiber you eat the more fiber you will get, which is good for many reasons.
- Fiber cleans your colon and prevents infection of your intestines.
- Fiber also cleans your colon and removes toxins.
- Fiber in broccoli also removes fats that clog your arteries.
4. Cancer Prevention
I have to say that this is one of the most important benefits of broccoli. It’s able to fight cancer thanks to its glucoraphanin, which when processed by your body, turns into sulforaphane, an anti-cancer compound. This compound will remove your body of H. pylori, a bacterium that scientists say is responsible for the development of cancer cells.
Broccoli has isothiocyanates, which has a powerful chemical that activates the enzymes in your body. These enzymes, which are produced by your liver, are capable of neutralizing the unwelcome effects of cancerous cells. In fact they will prevent cancer agents from getting into your body.
5. Broccoli Improves Your Immune System
Another benefit of broccoli is that it improves the status of your immune system. With just a cup of broccoli a day, you will get a lot of beta-carotene plus selenium and zinc, both of which strengthen your immune system. This is possible because it comes with beta-carotene, about 1359 mcg. It also has zinc and selenium which improve your immune system.
6. Repairs Skin Damage
Broccoli is not just good for fighting diseases but it also has glucoraphanin, an element that helps your skin repair itself from damaged caused by the sun. It is also great for detoxifying your skin.
Here are other reasons why I advise you to eat broccoli:
- Broccoli doesn’t just have anti-cancer properties, but it also has features that ensure your DNA is not damaged and prevents tumors.
- Broccoli also comes with indole-3-carbinol, a biochemical that boosts estrogen levels in your body. This also prevents cancer cells from growing in women’s breasts.
- The amount of isothiocyanates in broccoli is very high and comparable to other green leafy vegetables.
- A cup of broccoli has only 50 calories and lots of nutritional value as well.
7. Broccoli Strengthens Your Bones
I have to stress that broccoli is not just for your skin but also strengthens your bones. This is possible because of its vitamin K and calcium, both of which are essential for preventing osteoporosis.
8. Rich in Vitamin C
With just a cup of broccoli, you will get the recommended RDA of vitamin C. This is essential for getting of free radicals. I also want to add that vitamin C is an effective antihistamine too.
9. Broccoli Lowers Your Blood Pressure
Broccoli is also full of potassium, magnesium and calcium. The combination of all three makes it good for regulating blood pressure. The lower your blood pressure is, the less your chances of getting a heart attack.
As long as your blood pressure is normal, your lower your risks of suffering a stroke. A cup of broccoli gives you 94 mcg of folic acid, a very important B vitamin which is vital for synthesis of DNA. This isn’t just good for your health but also vital for the development of a fetus.
10. Broccoli Improves Your Nervous System
Broccoli is also great for your improving and stabilizing your nervous system. This is possible because it is rich in antioxidants. The stronger your nervous system is, the less susceptible you will be to numbness and weakness in your fingers and feet.
I also want to say that there are a lot of other reasons to eat broccoli such as these:
- Since broccoli is rich in vitamin C, it can prevent cold symptoms and it’s also anti-inflammatory.
- Broccoli is also suitable for those who are lactose intolerant. This is possible because it is rich in calcium
- Broccoli, like cabbage and sprouts, increases estrogen in females, boosting the testosterone level.
- Broccoli is rich in fiber and has very little sugar, so it is very effective for preventing diabetes. It also means insulin use can be minimized.
As I pointed out here, there are a lot of benefits that you will get from broccoli. It’s not just tasty but also delicious. And I want to emphasize that this isn’t just for elderly people or those who are sick; it’s also great for young and healthy people who want to stay fit, so make it a part of your diet.