The liver has many important functions such as detoxifying the blood, aside from helping in the excretion of cholesterol and drugs among other substances. It also stores all the vitamins and minerals in your body. Yes, it’s important, but how do you take care of it? I have done some research on the subject, and I’ve found 7 foods that will help cleanse your liver.
Leafy Green Vegetables
I’m sure you know that vegetables have a lot of benefits, but most doesn’t realize just how good vegetables are at cleansing the liver. All vegetables are good but the best for your liver are leafy greens that are juiced, cooked or eaten raw.
All green leafy veggies such as chicory, mustard greens, spinach, dandelion greens, arugula and bitter gourd are rich in chlorophylls, allowing them to absorb the toxins that are in your liver and other organs in your body and bloodstream.
In addition to cleaning your liver, these veggies will neutralize pesticides, chemicals and heavy metals that contaminate your body. In short, these veggies don’t just clean your liver but function as a protective mechanism for your liver.
You can include any or all of the veggies I mentioned in your diet and like I said you can eat them raw or cooked. They will clean your liver and increase bile flow and creation and waste is removed from your blood and organs.
I also have to include olive oil on my list of liver cleaning foods, and the best ones are cold pressed organic oils like flaxseed, hemp and olive, all of which are great for your liver. Based on my research, olive oil removes the toxins in your liver, reducing its toxic burden.
Garlic is great for adding flavor to food, but I can also tell you that just a bit of this will turn on the liver enzymes in your system so all the toxins are flushed out. There are actually two elements in garlic that clean your liver, selenium and allicin.
I have also learned that there are a number of health benefits that you can drive from garlic including the following.
- Garlic has allicin, a natural antibiotic that will kill microbes such as typhoid, Candida infections and dysentery.
- Garlic also has chemicals that can prevent cancer from developing.
- One of the reasons why garlic is so effective for cleaning liver is it boosts your immunity. Research done at the Akbar Clinic and Research Center in Panama City, Florida prove that the garlic extract Kyolic and raw garlic boosts your cells’ resistance, and this extends to your liver.
- Garlic will also reduce your cholesterol and protects you from heart disease, and it does this by thinning your blood. I have to point out that it is these helpful properties that give garlic its pungent smell.
Carrots are not just good for your eyes, as these are also rich in beta-carotene and plant flavonoids, both of which are essential for your liver.
- The beta-carotene in carrots has been proven to a deterrent against cataracts and macular degeneration. One study shows that those who eat carrots lower their risk by as much as 40%.
- Carrots also lower your risk of developing lung, colon and breast cancer thanks to its falcarindiol and falcarinol which have anti-cancer properties.
- Beta carotene also has anti aging properties and it functions as an antioxidant so cell damage is limited because your body’s metabolism is regulated.
- The fact that carrots are rich in antioxidants and vitamin A mean it protects your skin, hair and nails from dryness.
- Carrots can also improve your skin tone by preventing acne, prevent wrinkling and blemishes. It might seem that this doesn’t have anything to do with your liver, but it just goes to show that the carrot can do a lot for you.
Grapefruit is not just tasty but also rich in antioxidants which are essential for getting rid of the harmful elements not just in your liver but the rest of your body. All you need is a glass of grapefruit (freshly squeezed) and it will increase the enzymes in your body, which is going to flush all the carcinogens in your body.
Lemons and Limes
Lemons and limes and other citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C and we all know that they are important. But aside from that citrus fruits, particularly lemon, helps your body synthesize toxic elements in your body into forms that water can absorb. All you need to stimulate your liver into action is to drink a glass of lemon that is freshly squeezed.
Turmeric is also great for your liver. The next time you whip up a veggie dish or stew, add some turmeric. Just like the other foods mentioned here turns on the enzymes in your body, detoxifying not just your liver but also the rest of your body. In fact there are many other benefits of turmeric.
- Turmeric is a natural antiseptic so you can use it to disinfect burns and cuts and it is also a good antibacterial agent.
- You can also combine turmeric with cauliflower and it is also capable of preventing prostate cancer. Because it helps clean your liver, turmeric can also prevent existing prostate cancer from spreading.
- Turmeric can also prevent breast cancer from reaching your lungs and also stop melanoma cells from being destroyed.
- One of the reasons why turmeric is very effective for cleaning your liver is that it is a natural detoxifier.
Since your liver plays such an important role in keeping your body healthy, it only makes sense to take steps and clean it. The foods that I mentioned not only improve the status of your liver but also help improve the health status of your other organs. You can include some or all of these foods in your diet, it’s up to you, just make eat some regularly.