Ask any struggling dieter like me and you will get the same comment: “Snacking is one of the hardest parts of sticking to a diet plan.” Oh, how anyone would exchange anything for a bowl of chips, popcorn, French fries, ice cream, and others. I definitely would. But since I embraced the idea of being serious regarding my diet, it is a sin for me to. So I decided to look for alternatives that are as filling and satisfying but not as fattening.
I hope you could find them delectable alternatives as much as I do. Or at least, make them the better choice to help you stick to what you are committed to. One tip I can give you about going on diet is to have a very strong determination. Mine is sourced from my kids whom I love more than my life. I want to grow old seeing them grow that’s why I am making amends on my health choices.
Enough of the drama, let’s go straight to my list of 9 amazing snack alternatives that are less than 300 calories each. But first, take note of a few things:
- If you stay away from the salty, oily, artificially sweetened snacks, there are lots of varieties you can choose from. A piece of fruit, for example, only hits the scale at about 65 calories each. That means you can add one fruit to a snack recipe and make your meal complete.
- Spreading out your light meals towards the day is a nice trick to help you meet your target weight. Do not go heavy at any point, especially after dinner because that will be bad for your metabolism and overall weight loss program.
Now, let’s go to my list of snacks under 300.
Get two pieces of unsalted crackers and top each with a slice of avocado. Then, get a 6 oz cup of yoghurt and top it with diced cucumbers. This would only total278 calories. Cucumber is heavy on water, not on calories. That’s why it makes a good choice for adding crunch and body to your plain yoghurt snack.
2 Spinach Salad
Saute a cup of mushroom in little butter. Then, mix it together with 2 cups of spinach, 1 oz of Feta cheese crumbles, and 2 tablespoons of Italian dressing. This will make a healthy and delicious snack for only 262 calories. If you want to trim down the count, you can skip sautéing mushrooms. Adding them raw will easily cut down over 50 calories.
3 Beans and Rice in Sour Cream
Get ½ cup each of beans and rice. Dress the mix with no fat sour cream and 1/8 cup of cheese. You will easily get a delicious snack for only 300 calories. The better news is, most of the calories trapped in this meal are protein.
4 Sweet Potatoes with Cinnamon
Boil some sweet potatoes and then top it with melted butter. Sprinkle the buttery hot potatoes with cinnamon. This accounts for only 198 calories. You can trim down the calories if you skip the butter. Then again, you will miss out on the flavor so better eat it with that tasty goodness. It is not that much after all.
5 Cereal and Milk
An ounce of any cereal mixed with ½ cup of milk can make a tasty and light snack minus the guilt. Depending on the kind of cereal you are using, this can tip the scale between 200-300 calories.
6 Tuna Crackers
Get 10 saltine crackers and top each with tuna flakes mixed with a light dressing and some pickle relish. This will account to about 276 calories. If you want to reduce your calorie intake further, you may reduce the number of saltine crackers, reduce your light mayo dressing, or skip the pickle relish.
7 Mixed Nuts
Get about 20 pieces of mixed nuts and enjoy a snack under 300 calories. What’s more, nuts are packed with essential nutrients such as protein and other good fats.
8 Spinach and Bacon Omelet
Get 1 cup of spinach and 2 slices of crumbled turkey bacon. Mix them with 2 pieces egg whites and 1 piece of whole egg. Next, heat up your pan and grease it with a teaspoon of butter. Cook your omelet and serve it hot with a piece of a whole grain toast. This accounts for only about 298 calories.
9 Spiced Chicken Wrap
Get some spiced chicken that’s either broiled, grilled, or baked. Assemble it in a wrap together with some lettuce, carrots, and cherry tomatoes. Then, top it with some yoghurt dressing. This only accounts for 218 calories.
5 Most Dangerous Diets
Being in the scale limbo myself, I understand how frustrating it can be to go on a diet and not see any noticeable results. But you should take it from me: avoid the following dangerous diets at all costs, even if they do promise a very tempting outcome.
- Baby Food Diet – Baby food is formulated to meet the nutritional needs of babies and not of adults.
- Apple Cider Vinegar Diet – Going heavy on apple cider vinegar can only make you highly acidic. While it can truly reduce your appetite and increase your metabolism, it can also create irritation in your throat.
- The Master Cleanser – This diet suggests that one substitute a mixture of lemon juice, maple syrup, cayenne pepper, and water to your meals for 10-40 days. While it can give you the perfect form, experts warn that it can also cause your blood sugar levels to go haywire, become deficient in important vitamins, and great loss of muscle tissue.
- Cabbage Soup Diet – You may binge on bowls after bowls of cabbage soup and earn the slimming benefits. But it is crazy to do so because it will cause deficiencies in important vitamins and minerals that your body needs to function better.
- Cigarette Diet – This may sound crazy starting off with that name, however some suggests that lighting up will help reduce your appetite. If you light up more, you will not crave for sweets that can make you fat but it can give you lung cancer. Which do you think is the better choice?